The historic seats of the museums are Palazzo dei Conservatori and Palazzo Nuovo, facing on the central trapezoidal square in a plan conceived by Michelangelo in 1536 and executed over a period of more than 400 years.
The history of the museum can be traced to 1471, when Pope Sixtus IV donated a collection of important ancient bronzes to the people of Rome and located them on the Capitoline Hill. Since then, the museums’ collection has grown to include many ancient Roman statues, inscriptions, and other artifacts; a collection of medieval and Renaissance art; and collections of jewels, coins, and other items.
We will visit together the most important and beautiful artworks of the collection, included the famous bronze statue of the Lupa Capitolina and the marvellous statue of Marcus Aurelius whose copy is placed in the centre of the square. We also have the chance to see the remains of the ancient temple dedicated to Jupiter, the most important of ancient times and to admire the beautiful frescoes painted in the main rooms. Also from the museums we have the opportunity to enjoy the best view ever of the Roman Forum walking beneath the Capitoline Square. Before we conclude we will also share with you the history of the square and the magnificent project designed by Michelangelo of the city hall of Rome.
Feel the Essence!